Heavy Equipment Operations Technician
The primary mission of the Heavy Equipment Operations program is to provide quality educational training designed to meet the current and future needs of the heavy equipment operations industry. To accomplish this, the following guidelines are established: assist student to choose, prepare for, enter, and be gainfully employed in the heavy equipment field; offer a program which emphasizes sound fundamentals while responding to the needs of this particular industry; and provides courses to meet current and specific needs of the student and this industry.
The Heavy Equipment Operations program provides students with the technical knowledge and skills for employment as an operator in the Heavy Equipment industry. Instruction includes a combination of classroom theory and practical experience. Students will be instructed in digging, ditching, sloping, stripping, grading, backfilling, equipment maintenance and safety. Students are eligible to join SkillsUSA.
- Heavy Equipment Maintenance
- Operator Training for Bulldozer, Wheel Loader, Backhoe Loader, Motor Grader, Excavator, and Skid Steer
- Preparation for Forklift Operator Certification
- Preparation for NCCER Certifications
- Employability Skills and Safety
Length of Program
The Heavy Equipment Operation program consists of 600 hours for full-time students. The program consists of Occupational Completion Points A (Heavy Equipment Maintenance), Occupational Completion Points B (Tractor Operator), and Occupational Completion Points C (Off-road Equipment Operator I).
- Interview by guidance counselor.
- Assessment in reading, math and language. (If Applicable)
- Must pass Drug Test
- Must be at least 18 years old and not attending high school.
- ID $10.00
- Application fee $30.00
- Material fee $1339.00
- Classroom & Vocational Lab Consumable Supplies
- NCCER Exams
- Tuition $1536.00
- Books $200.00
- Miscellaneous Fees $200
- Pre-employment Drug Test
- Overalls, Goggles, Hard Hat, and Gloves
- Work boots
- Approximate total $3315.00
Classes begin approximately every trimester. Please call (305) 557-1100 to obtain information on starting dates. For information call and speak to a counselor.
Operating Engineers, Skid Steer Loader Operator, Backhoe Loader Operator, Bulldozer Operator, Wheel Loader Operator, Forklift Operator, Motor Grader Operator.